Thursday, March 10, 2011

THE "TOO-MUCH-GOIN'-ON" DILEMMA

No, this isn't actually my desk, but it's close . . . or at least it was, and will be again unless I clear the calendar a tad. You see, I've simply got too much going on right now.

The daily "must-deal withs," have been overrun by the "small-projects" and the "if-you-don't meet-this-deadline-bad-things-will-happen" stuff. You know. I bet you do it too.

So on the daily list, there are the necessities of life. It may be that "Fish got to swim and birds got to fly," but likewise, food must be bought, meals prepared, dishes done, or surely you'll die.¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)¸.☆
(¸.•´ (¸.•´•¸.•*(¸.♥´´¯`♥.¸¸.♫´¯`♥.¸¸.♈
The same holds true for laundry and and bill-paying, and certain household chores that may not literally kill you, but will likely remove you from the social roster.

I've got several of those "project things with a deadline" going on too--tax prep, a pioneer trek I'm planning for the youth of my stake, tax prep, preparation for a class I'm teaching at the Storymakers' Writing Conference in May, tax prep . . . (did I mention tax prep? That really stresses me out.)

There are also other needful concerns that are always there, like a three-year-old, tugging relentlessly at your heart--the people things like genealogy, and my Mom who is beginning to slip away, or my children whom I miss, and faraway grandchildren Tom and I need to see. Poor Tom. . . that's another neglected issue altogether. . .

Right now, a deadline is looming for book five, the final volume of Free Men and Dreamers, "In God Is Our Trust," and that is currently the biggest stress in my life. I want it to be great, to tie up every loose end, to leave my faithful readers satisfied and sad that the journey is over, and to make new readers anxious to grab a copy of book one and begin. And that takes a a mind that can focus.

So last night I cleared my desk of trek papers, tax stuff, research material, genealogical group sheets, and articles that need writing so I can focus. I might seem aloof or distant for a while, but I'm here, "clearing the mechanism" as Kevin Costner would say.

I'll have updates from time to time, but basically I'm hiding out from my editor, so if you chance to see her, mums the word, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT