Monday, January 9, 2012

ON A MONDAY MORNING

Today seems like a good day for an intimate post about life. Life is great, but life is hard sometimes. Last week was a hard one, and this week may be tougher yet.

We've got friends facing tough situations right now. We joined our prayers with theirs yesterday, petitioning the Lord for multiple miracles. What a comfort it is to know we have a Heavenly Father and a Savior who love us and who hear our prayers, and whether or not we get the outcomes we are all praying for at this time, we accept His will, and we know that He does have the power to heal every heart, every hurt, every need, and will some day.

My concerns are in no way equal to these friends' at this time, but as a wise daughter once told me, we can't compare troubles. She was very sick and facing a kidney transplant, and her friends stopped sharing their concerns with her because they seemed trivial in comparison. Amanda faced off and told them that if they felt they had a lot on their plate, then they did. End of story. We just can't compare plates with someone else. Some people are facing life and death situations, but some days, a run in a pair of panty-hose as you're running late for an important interview can be a deal breaker, especially if you really need that job. I used that great insight in "Awakening Avery," when Teddie was trying to console Avery. See, art does pull from real life.

My mother is in early onset dementia, or so we think. We've noticed the changes over the passing years--rapid anxiety, forgetfulness, mood swings, fear, she forgets to eat and misplaces things all the time assuming they've been stolen. Tomorrow, I'll take her to see a neurologist and we'll begin the process of being officially diagnosed. She doesn't want to go. She's afraid of what she'll hear, admitting that she'd rather just go on in innocent ignorance.

She can't see how hard these moment to moment emergencies are on those of us who love her and fear for her safety. She thinks we are trying to ruin her life and control her.

These sandwich years are very challenging, caught between the needs of young families for support and love, and the unforeseen but instantly-appearing Mom-emergencies. It's hard to find time to write, and when I do, I feel my umber mood is visible in my words.

So we carry on as best we can, don't we? I'm sure you each have a concern or two of your own that's pressing on you like an anvil. So what do we do to keep moving forward?

I'd love to hear what you do. For me, it's about maintaining some balance. I've picked up my level of scripture study, tried a new study plan actually, and it's been very nurturing to my soul. I'm also trying to pray with greater intent, to really talk to my Father in Heaven, one-on-one, because though I know He loves me, I sometimes treat Him like my busy grand kids treat me--with barely a passing wave as they hurry past to something more inviting.

I'm beginning an actual diet program tomorrow. I meet with a counselor. This is generally not my style, but with life being what it is right now, I need to take better care of me, and that means eating better and taking some of this weight off before other health issues arise.

I'm pulling back from the Internet too. I'm so easily sucked into it, reading blogs, news stories, some total time-wasting junk. Then I ask myself where the day has gone. Hah! I'm going to try hard to post what's needed, and then turn off my browser. I get so much more writing done with the Internet turned off, and housework too!

I'm going to stop work when my husband walks in the door, and be in bed by ten each night. Have you read the studies about the incredible necessity of being at rest by ten? Our body's systems rejuvenate from 10-2 A.M., and if we push past those hours and deny the body the opportunity to rest and repair, we're prone to a host of health concerns. They studied the effects resting between 10 and 2 had on graveyard shift workers, and they found that depression dropped, weight fell off, and other ailments declined. Likewise, when they put day workers on the graveyard shift, they found that all those problems increased. And I've been putting myself on that shift--well, no more.

I'm also going to carve out more time to be with friends, to meet new people and to really get involved in the upcoming election process. Can't wait!

So I guess this list constitutes my New Year's resolutions. I'm copying them down and we'll see how I'll do. Maybe some of these look good to you. Go ahead. Give them a try. And tell me yours. I'll see if any of your seem to be a good fit for me.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Such a great post! So sorry about your mom! That's hard. Yeah, so often we do try to compare what we're going through with what others seem to be going through. We've gone through some really hard things the last few years, and I've found that it's been easier to just isolate myself that to "burden" others. No, that hasn't been the best thing to do. So, like you, this year I will be doing the same things: eating better, exercising, getting more rest, plus, I want to attend the temple more often. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And lots of hugs sent your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, Lori. And thanks also for adding your ideas to the list. I agree, more frequent temple attendance is also on my list too. So many wonderful tools at our disposal. Sending hugs to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your mother. But I do know what you're going through. My mother suffered with dementia. It was very hard on everyone. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT