Monday, September 21, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW with LISA RECTOR, Fantasy Author

(Last week I posted part one of my interview with high fantasy author Lisa Rector, who just released book two of her trilogy, "Chronicles of the Half-Emrys."  "The Two Masters" debuted with high praise from readers of book one, "The Master of Lies." I don't write fantasy, so I'm especially awed by Lisa's deft world-building and her complex, unique characters. They contain great action scenes and suspense, but they're clean reads a family can enjoy together. You'll want to pick these up. Books one and two are currently FREE to Kindle Unlimited subscribers.


How do you deal with writer’s block?

It usually doesn’t take long for me to work out a problem. Basic ideas come pretty quickly. Plot holes a little longer to resolve. Usually I sleep on it. Seriously. I just think about my book and a specific scene and close my eyes as I analyze the material. Sometimes I wake in the night and the idea has come to me, sometimes I dream it. But it always finds its way to me.

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Flexible hours. You have to be ready to write when an idea strikes. Like at 3 am.

But no really, I am a major homebody. I like just staying home and writing, in front of my fire in the winter months, or in my sunroom in the summer. Perfect job for my introverted self. I think I will become a hermit, only emerging to buy gourmet cupcakes.
What’s your advice for aspiring writers?

Get a support group. Join a critique group. Free write without stopping until the book is done. Forget the grammar at first. Just get it down. Find people to critique, beta-read, and proofread. But have fun. Don’t let anyone tell you how to write your book. Take the advice and use what works for you. And remember, only write the parts people want to read!

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on book three in my half-emryn chronicles. Master of Time is in the revision stages, and I hope to release it in the winter of 2016. The chronicle picks up with Meuric and Catrin falling through time, right after the sonic boom in book two.

How do you get inspired to write? What inspires you to write?

Anything and everything inspires me. I take inspiration from the scriptures, from TV shows, books I’ve read, and dreams I’ve had. When I first started my books, I was on a LOTR marathon and received most of my inspiration from those movies. Many of my characters are based off LOTR.

Now that I’ve been writing for two years, the ideas keep coming and I cannot write fast enough. I hope that as my writing improves the process goes faster.

Tell us about your writing process.

I’m not an outliner. I am a write-as-it-comes to me person.

Do you have any rituals to get you in the writing mode?

Lindsey Stirling, famous violinist, has two amazing tracks on one of her albums. During long writing stretches, I jump up every hour and dance in my kitchen, and when those two tracks come on, I pretend I’m an airbender, harnessing power. Or sometimes an emrys. My less-than-graceful dance moves mimic those of the airbender, but it’s slightly reminiscent of Tai Chi. Very empowering.
Do you listen to or talk to your characters?

I become my characters. I put myself into the scene and live it.

How did you decide how to publish your books?
           
I wanted control. And truthfully, approaching an agent or traditional publisher and writing that synopsis just scares me. I’m such an introvert!

What do you think about the future of book publishing?

Self-published eBooks all the way. Better royalties. Ease of publishing. Just make sure you have a fantastic editor!

What other projects are you involved in? What do you do when you’re not writing?

My garden changes every year. I have raised veggie beds. So far, I’ve been able to keep a lemon and a lime tree alive for over two winters. I’ve already harvested some of the fruit!

I’m really involved with my church. I teach the women’s Sunday school lessons on occasion, and help new converts learn about my faith.

Where will your next writing endeavors take you?

I have a whole other series planned, Lost Emrys, about an emrys stuck in our world. The prequel to my half-emrys series is in the works as well. Many fans want to hear Niawen’s story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT