Sunday, January 8, 2017

George Washington's "Prayer for The United Stated of America"

While digging through some of my old "Free Men and Dreamers" files, I came across my parchment copy of George Washington's "Prayer for The United States of America." It was a beautiful find after a lesson we had in Church today about the Restoration and America's role in it.

"Almighty God; We make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy protection; that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government; and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large.


And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation.


Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord.


Amen."


Beautiful, isn't it?

When I type "United," my fingers frequently hit the wrong keys and I more often end up spelling "Untied States of America," which sadly, seems how the media and Hollywood view our nation.
I'm comforted to report that I am not seeing this. We have our problems, some very big ones, but the sampling of fellow citizens I meet still appear to ascribe to the basic values Washington prayed we'd adopt and cherish.
I hope the world knows that the vast majority of us love God, love our country, pray for her and her people, and wish for a better world for all. I hope they know that despite the messaging of those that command the biggest, loudest microphones, the majority of America's people work hard, love their neighbors, care about their families, and want justice and peace and love to be the standard for all.
Washington saw what we could be. We're not there yet, but most of us are still trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT