Saturday, January 21, 2012

THE NEWT


My son, Tom, wrote this editorial. No matter your political leanings, it offers some points about character that bear some serious thought.

Does granting forgiveness require us to erase all memory of lapses in character and fidelity, particularly when the subject is asking for the trust of a nation in order to become the most powerful leader in the world?

Good questions to ask. Here's Tom's editorial.

Newt Gingrich? Conservative? Really? I am shocked that so many Americans are willing to vote for a man that broke the most important vow of all, that of marriage, for more than six years. How can we expect this man to honor the oath of the office of the President of the United States when he can’t honor the more important oath of fidelity to a wife (or two wives for that matter)? As a devout Christian I firmly believe in the power of redemption; however, while I believe that a repentant man can attain full blessings in the life hereafter, this doesn’t mean that he deserves to be elected to the highest office in this life.

While I support Romney for President I would also be happy to see one of the other true conservatives in the Oval Office. Give me Santorum, give me Paul, but do not give me a man that lacked the capacity to be faithful in two separate marriages (not to mention that he was breaking the law of the state that he represented in Congress during his affairs – adultery is still illegal in that state). For that matter, while I disagree with a great number of Obama’s policies and ideas, as least he seems to be a man that honors his wife and family.

Again, while I fully believe the repentant man can be redeemed, there are certain things that one must forgo when he chooses to be untrue. The Office of the President of the United States is one of those.

3 comments:

  1. I agree 100 percent. I am from Georgia and I will not vote for Newt..

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems to say the thing that's most expedient at the moment, even if it contradicts something he said before. It's his progressive ideas that scare me, but his personal behavior disgusts me. And in a president, that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom says it all. I agree 100 percent with his thoughts. Why would I want a man who can't be faithful to a wife run the highest office in the nation. Thanks for posting your son's Editorial Laurie. No morality, no vote. At least not mine. :)
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT